Wednesday, July 24, 2013

S.H. Figuarts Kamen Rider Kiva Emperor Form Part 1

A kingly debut

The Kamen Rider series returns to this blog after a near-9-month absence (O_O) with this special item: ^^


Released in November 2010, This is S.H. Figuarts Kamen Rider Kiva Emperor Form from Tamashii Nations. I got it about two months later as my first collectible from the S.H. Figuarts series. ^^ That "record setting" wasn't too much of a big deal to me, partly because I never expected myself to hold on to the item this long before deciding to review it. ^^; Liking the character, wanting an action figure of it but unwilling to pay for the expensive Tamashii Web Shop limited S.I.C. version was the real motivation behind the purchase. It still is as I'm looking at the figure while writing up this posting, but it's also refreshing to "rediscover" Kamen Rider Kiva Emperor Form's "special status" as the first S.H. Figuarts figure in my collection. ^^

I really like Kamen Rider Kiva Emperor Form for its awesome flamboyant armor design. ^^ Donning a suit of shiny golden armors and a red cape is the best way to announce one's arrival on the battlefield in the loudest and clearest manner I suppose. XD Among all Kamen Riders, Kamen Rider Kiva's design has the most obvious Medieval knight armor motif, which I completely adore. ^^ As Kamen Rider Kiva's upgraded form in the TV series, the Emperor Form is definitely the most powerful design to reflect that Medieval motif. His main weapon, the Zanvat Sword looks a little bit silly in combat, as Wataru was shown constantly needing to slide Zanvat-bat (the hilt) forward and backward when he was using the sword. But the overall design of the Emperor Form is very awesome nonetheless.


First henshin and combat of Kamen Rider Kiva Emperor Form .
Video clip is from Youtube. Follow this link to the website if you can't see anything.

The Tamashii Web Shop limited S.I.C. version is the best representation of Kamen Rider Kiva Emperor Form in my opinion. While this S.H. Figuarts version did a fantastic job realizing the character design from the TV series, the S.I.C. version gave the look a more romantic "level-up" look. ^^ If awesomeness and flamboyance are the key visual design feels this character and his armors are about, the more outstanding the design the better, ^^ and I always believe the S.I.C. version captured that look very well. However, I was unwilling to pay the jacked up price for it posted by auctioneers just for its Tamashii Web Shop limited status. I do like the character very much, and I'm willing to pay more for it, but the price I saw was just too ridiculously (and greedily) expensive. ^^; Eventually, I held out that purchase decision and settled with this S.H. Figuarts version instead. ^^



Very close resemblance between the figure itself and the actual character shown in grayscale in front of the box. ^^


A textual introduction of the S.H. Figuarts series (in English ^^) is a standard feature for all releases from the action figure line I believe.




The figure itself can be seen clearly through the front window






Closeups on the partially revealed content.



Tremendously simple design style for the sides, top and bottom. ^^





Introduction of the figure on the back of the box.


Box open.


Top view of the box content.


Package content with the clear plastic cover taken off.









Closeups on the details.


Rear view of the box content.






Closeups on the details.


(Left) The silver backdrop that is completely "purposeless" now that the figure is out of the box. ^^;
(Right) A folded instruction sheet is placed behind the silver backdrop.



Configuration of the cape pieces, swapping of hand units and Zanvat Sword's gimmick are shown on the instruction sheet.



A straight out of box display of Kamen Rider Kiva Emperor Form.

More images of the figure and introduction of all the accessories coming up next. ^^

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting to note that SH Figuarts Kiva Emperor form is probably the first and only rider where they released his 'ultimate' form before the default form - from Kuuga all the way to Wizard so far, well, save for Hibiki who has no release yet for the the Figuarts line.